CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, April 08, 2006

Recipe of the Week

This is my new plan for the blog. Every week I will post a different recipe, plus any tips or suggestions I have. Then we can all cook it together. Some recipes will be new, some will be from my cookbook to encourage people to actually use it! Then we can share our experiences in the "comment" section of the post. Who's game?
***check out my results in the comments section and post yours***

The first recipe is.....

CHICKEN MARSALA


1 3/4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth (14 fl oz)
2 tablespoons finely chopped shallot
5 tablespoons unsalted butter
10 oz mushrooms, trimmed and thinly sliced
1 1/2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh sage
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1 cup all-purpose flour
4 skinless boneless chicken breast halves (2 lb total)
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons dry Marsala wine
2/3 cup heavy cream
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice

Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 200°F.

Bring broth to a boil in a 2-quart saucepan over high heat, then boil, uncovered, until reduced to about 3/4 cup, about 20 minutes.

Cook shallot in 3 tablespoons butter in an 8- to 10-inch heavy skillet over moderate heat, stirring, until shallot begins to turn golden, about 1 minute. Add mushrooms, 1 teaspoon sage, salt, and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until liquid mushrooms give off is evaporated and mushrooms begin to brown, 6 to 8 minutes. Remove from heat.

Put flour in a wide shallow bowl. Gently pound chicken to 1/4 inch thick between 2 sheets of plastic wrap using the flat side of a meat pounder or a rolling pin.

Pat chicken dry and season with salt and pepper, then dredge in flour, 1 piece at a time, shaking off excess. Transfer to sheets of wax paper, arranging chicken in 1 layer.

Heat 1 tablespoon each of oil and butter in a 10-inch heavy skillet over moderately high heat until foam subsides, then sauté half of chicken, turning over once, until golden and just cooked through, about 4 minutes total. Transfer cooked chicken to a large heatproof platter, arranging in 1 layer, then put platter in oven to keep warm. Wipe out skillet with paper towels and cook remaining chicken in same manner, then transfer to oven, arranging in 1 layer.

Add 1/2 cup wine to skillet and boil over high heat, stirring and scraping up brown bits, about 30 seconds. Add reduced broth, cream, and mushrooms, then simmer, stirring occasionally, until sauce is slightly thickened, 6 to 8 minutes. Add lemon juice and remaining 2 tablespoons wine and 1/2 teaspoon sage.

Serve chicken with sauce.

Makes 4 servings.


Sarah's propsed changes:
I have not made this recipe before. I am leaving out the mushrooms because I don't like them. I am not splurgling on the Marsala and am going to try it with red wine. I will cut down on the amount of butter used, but am using unsalted. I am only using 2 chicken breasts but not cutting back on the amount of sauce so there will be lots! I am using whipping cream for the heavy cream because I have some leftover from dinner last night. My dinner last night also involved flattend chicken (I found a wine bottle worked better than a hammer) so I flattened all the chicken and cooked it in one batch so tonights chicken is waiting to be re-heated in the fridge (smart, eh?) I am serving the chicken over some spaghetti topped with a little butter and parmesan cheese, and some steamed pumpkin.

4 comments:

Hilary said...

you forgot that every recipe is called "Sarah's ..."

Like "Sarah's Finger Lick'n Chick'n" or "Judy's cheese and onion dip" oops I mean "Sarah's cheese and onion dip" !!

Ryan and Sarah Sutherland said...

I can't put my name on it till I know it's worthy!
Just so you know LOSER, I put Judy's name on her own dip.
(which you would know if anyone bothered to use my book, sob!)

Hilary said...

I've used your cookbook! I made the roasty potatoes 3 times. And I did a variation of your mashed potatoes last week.

You do potatoes like no bodies business!

Ryan and Sarah Sutherland said...

I have just finished eatting this recipe. We both thought it was really tasty.
I did manage to overbrown the shallots...they were doing great and then I looked and they were near burnt!! I bought the unsalted butter but got them confused and ended up using the salted one. It was a tad salty. If I had figured it out sooner I wouldn't have added the extra in. The sauce didn't thicken as much as I thought, but was really tasty. We ate it on spaghetti but maybe rotini would be better to catch all the sauce in the twirls. The sauce didn't LOOK all that great, kinda purply. I didn't add in the extra wine at the end, either.
Overall I would make this again.
I give it 4 outta 5